Saturday, April 01, 2006

Simple Things

I awoke to the promise of an extremely hectic day, but a rare thing happened, a small change completely turned things around. Phyllis worked for me. Thank God. So, instead of driving at an unsafe speed in order to make it home and to work, (I nearly got a ticket on my way to pick up the kids), we had a leisurely drive home. We took our lizards and hermit crab to share with Derek's class the last 15 minutes of the day, and so it was nice to not have to pack up and run. Iggy was so well behaved. He lay in cradled on my arm, and let all the 2nd graders ooo and ahhh and touch him.

It was a beautiful warm day. We stopped at the store to pick up some charcoal, lighter fluid, and a six pack. When we got home the kids played in the sandbox, I cooked ribs on the grill and made baked beans while I drank my Yuengling Porter. Life is good. After dinner we watched King Kong with certain scenes skipped.

Now that movie was probably one of the worst I've seen. In it's entirety, it wasn't suitable for kids, and for me, it wasn't really that captivating. I think I spent more time wondering how in the world anyone could believe that people lived through running with a heard of...allosaurus'(?) and raptors. And I won't even start on the swinging T-Rex...or the story in general...

I got my first paycheck from my 'day' job. It's certainly nothing to 'write home' about, but the feeling of productivity is comforting. I've been a waitress and clerk for so long to get by, now I'm doing something to improve the world, even if just one classroom, just one child. So when I recover from my satisfaction condition, I will figure out whether the gas bill, credit card or attorney gets paid.

I'm off to enjoy my Saturday. I do have to work tonight, but until then we are going to have a blast as soon as Derek gets his lazy butt out of bed. Happy weekend all.

2 comments:

G-Man said...

I for one, LOVE King Kong! Saw it twice in the theater and bought the DVD. I do agree with you that its not suitable for kids. For each his own, right?

COngrats on the paycheck. They are never as big as we deserve. Even when you get a raise, uncle sam gets more than he deserves. At least they are living comfortably.

Have a great weekend!

Bluenewt said...

Well I probably shouldnt have said it was the WORST, in truth, the effects were kind of good, and the reason I let Derek watch it was because of the all the creatures. It wasn't my thing, although I have had to watch it three times with my finger poised over the skip button. :)