Sunday, April 30, 2006

Happiness

Today was a beautiful day. We packed it full.

We first went to my mom's for a bit to visit my cousin and her kids who were staying to celebrate her birthday. On our way home, around lunch time, I finally stopped at this place where this guy always sells fixed up lawnmowers. Today I bought one. After three years of dragging a heavy monster around my yard and having to fix it every hour...I bought a better used mower. I shouldn't have spent the money, but ahhh...it really felt like a good way to spend it. The kids and I then went to Agway, purchased trowels for the boys, a rake, flowers, a plant hanger, 4 bags of top soil, 1 bag of potting soil and sunflower seeds. We came home, had lunch and went to work. I installed the plant hanger on the porch and hung the beautiful red miniature petunia that Derek picked out. Then the boys and I set to cleaning out the flower beds and adding some top soil. Derek planted HIS seeds, because he has decided he wants HIS own garden. So he has a spot of his own and I'm thinking of making a little wooden sign that says "Derek's Garden". While digging in the dirt, we decided to get a bucket to create our worm farm for fishing. After, I potted some plants for in the house and the kids just played outside, rolling in the dirt, being dinosaurs eating grass...

I mowed the lawn. In 1 1/2 hours I had it mostly mowed and trimmed. It was actually more like exercise than torture. It was DOABLE with my new mower. I love it.

Then Derek remembered I had said we might catch THE WILD at the theater...and so, I shuffled the kids into a bath, threw a steak on the grill, fried some potatoes and cooked some spinach...threw grass covered self into the shower and away we went to catch the 7:00 showing of the wild. I hid 2 quart sized bags of popcorn and two water bottles in my purse. Derek giggled the entire time..and Dalton, well, he was good. Somehow at one point he had folded himself up into the spring loaded seat, but looked quite comfortable. It was funny. We ran home, and I cuddled with the kids in bed.

Today was a great day. In the midst of planting with the boys, teaching them to pull the roots out a little, showing them how deep to dig and how to cover them up, I felt at peace. The sun was warm, we were together and we made our home a little more beautiful. Derek tells me he loves me quite often, but when something pleases him a little more than usual, he repeats it several times. He did that today when he was planting his garden. I heard the whisper behind his words.."I'm happy, Mommy". So am I my son, so am I.

3 comments:

Val said...

I'll have my own "Happy Weekend" post up soon...
Seems like it's been so long since I actually ACCOMPLISHED what I set out to DO that I'm still in a state of shock?!?
(send me email, I'll send you pix) I still haven't figured out how to post pix on Blogger...
But I'm very very glad you had a happy day too!

Val said...

I know it would help if I GAVE you my email, huh?
endurovet@hotmail.com

Bluenewt said...

Philip, I could be accused of it...however, the other day I was overthinking and realized my attorney overcharged me for my day in court by 2 hours. Saved me 250 bucks. But yes, drive time is think time, mowing is mindless bliss...:)

Val, I will certainly email you!