Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Dinner plans

I'm taking the kids out to dinner tonight, and I'm trying to figure out what we should do. The options: McDonald's and a run through playland, Buck and Linda's Whitesville House where they have the best fresh cut french fries ever, the corner mart where they have Derek's favorite wings, or maybe we could just drive around and find somewhere new. What my heart yearns for, though, is a picnic. Sitting with the kids in the park, sitting on the scratchy, tickling grass...feeling the warm sun and swishing away the bothersome flies. I would pack liverwurst sandwiches, fruit, cheese and crackers. The kids would alternate between eating and playing. We could wrestle in the field. We would play all afternoon, then pack it up and drive with the windows down and the music cranked up, just how the kids now prefer it. But, the grass is still quite brown, from what I can see under the blanket of snow and today we're dining in. I think it's time to get a project going, as I have been threatening to do for quite some time now...

No comments: