Monday, May 22, 2006

Nothing to Hide

My psychologist asked me when doing psychological exams for our custody dispute what the most important thing is to impart to your children. My answer was honesty. Being honest with yourself, about yourself and with others. There are those few that live their lives putting others down in order to validate their own existences. They can't hold their heads high unless there is someone who doesn't measure up comparatively from their perspective. If they feel inferior, they peer, manipulate, investigate until they find some shred of evidence of a persons fallibility then embellish and advertise it. "I'm so much better than you because..." (I'm sure you can fill in the blank).

Who doesn't have a few skeletons tucked away in some dark closet somewhere? Who can claim infallibility? Who can say that they walk the higher ground when you cannot walk in anothers shoes? My unasked for opinion is this. If you spend your time judging others, then the issues of your own life are being neglected and unaddressed. If you spend your time trying to justify your mistakes, then you are not learning from them. If you find yourself rejecting people as inferior, then you have missed the reason that they have been put in front of you. As I have been called before, yes, I'm a multiculturalist dipshit. I believe that in any walk of life, in any culture, no person is without a gift, be it good advice, a lesson, a viewpoint...or just a moment of laughter you may not have had time for otherwise.

You are wasting your time in finding inferiority with me. Chances are, I already feel inferior. I have been around a few blocks in a ferrari, on welfare, married, single, with my rent, and begging from the salvation army. None of these experiences would I give up because I learned some very valuable things from all of those situations. I found that I am very lucky, because there is always someone struggling harder. I learned about hard work. I learned about carrying on when I felt like I was dead inside.

If you are better than me, then I don't have time for you. I'm too busy trying to live my life. If you have nothing constructive to add...I don't need you. If your only goal is to wipe your feet on my face...I won't acknowledge you. If you can be honest with yourself, about yourself and to me...I will embrace you. I have nothing to hide and refuse to spend a minute more on justifying my humanity. I am who I am at face value. Take it or leave it. I'm sorry for spending so many years trying to love one who can't love me back. I never thought it was a waste of time until today.

Mindy