Saturday, March 18, 2006

Hair

Me at 17
Ok, so I have been threatening with this post for awhile. My hair. It has been growing and growing and growing forever. I haven't had a short do since high school. I told myself that I would cut it at 25. I didn't. Then I said I would definitely need a change at 30. And I didn't. And now I'm thinking 35. Maybe. Or maybe something new for work now? Whenever I do get it cut, well, trimmed, people turn around and ask..."is she getting it cut?" "How short are you getting it?" "You could always donate it." Even when I have it pulled up, the girls at the Acorn (convenience store near my house) will say "Did you get you hair cut?" Then there is one of the girls I work with who nags me about it. "You should get it cut like mine, it could be so fun and flirty!" Fun and Flirty...hmmm. Yeah. Way too much time thinking about what I should do with my mop. Last summer I went in for a cut, asked her to take off 3-4 inches, and made her stop at one. My hair obsession started in high school. I had this awesome hairdresser that, honest to God, was practically a magician. I had every kind of hair style you could imagine. A bob, straight and permed. A shag, straight and permed. Layered short, layered long...bangs, and no bangs. But now, it's just long. Sometimes I get brave and add layers like this (at 29) <-, sometimes I straighten it or do the bedhead thinglike this -> (I'm the cavewoman!). And sometimes I forget for an entire year to get it cut at all and it ends up like this (at 31, and yeah, it grows like wildfire)-> At present (I don't have a recent picture) it's layered, the shortest is at my elbow, the longest is, well, to my tush. So now I'm thinking maybe it's time to get a grown-up haircut. But then should I go short right away, or do it in increments? But if I do it in one fell swoop, at least I can let go of my vanity for some good, I could donate it. So, if you have an opinion, feel free to write it. If you think I need a life...say it, I certainly deserve it for a post like this. Kaicito, I do not yet have bald spots...but hey, you never know when a friendly tip will come in handy, since in my family we don't get gray, what a relief! The five hairs I will have left at 60 will all be brown.

I promise to not post another post so shallow. Maybe I should shave my head to leave some think space for something important. Nah.

No comments: