Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Goodbye, George...

George was one of my very first customers at the Steakhouse, he was a cantankerous old man with a knack for making the waitresses either really angry or upset. George pissed me off the very first time I waited on him. He complained when the drink prices went up and still paid the old price for his Manhattan a year later. He noticed that the chicken and bisquits went up four cents and he complained. He was a member of a slowly decreasing number of the "Romeo club" that dine at the Steakhouse. I grew rather fond of George and would on a slower night have a seat at the Romeo club's table to chat. The last time we talked, I said I was happy to see them again, as it had been awhile...and George says in a rather saucy tone "Mindy, I'm THRILLED to see you!" It made me laugh.

Red, another Romeo near and dear to my heart, said to me last, that there are less and less of the 'Romeos' and that he might be the next to go...

Then Tina blurted out that George passed away. Apparently, he became very ill at the restaurant one night and the owner, Geoff had to drive him home. He had a heartattack and didn't make it through it. I guess I caught everyone off guard when I started to cry. I mean, this was GEORGE. He was supposed to break the new girls in. He was always there with his cane and a shit-eating grin. And I had this feeling that I didn't get to see him one last time, or tell him goodbye. I just felt SAD. I felt sad for Red, Bob, and for Bill...who is watching his wife fade away...

So George, Goodbye. I really will miss you. I hope you have found peace.

No comments: