Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Happy Birthday to me :)


My sons are here again and I am reminded of what 'whole' feels like. When alone, the clock's ticking becomes louder than my thoughts, telling me that the countdown of another minute, another day, another year, has begun. When with my children, I forget about the clock and it's time-keeping. If I could go back, if I knew then what I know now, if I could have one birthday wish for a change... I would not have to hear my 4 year-old say to me as he is about to leave with his father, "I don't wanna weave you".

Today was a beautiful day, complete with all the duties of parenthood, and some extras...a little tickle monster, some books, scattered legos and lots of hugs. My youngest, Dalton has a cold, and wants me to 'nuggle' him. Derek needs his sleep to accomplish his duties as a big second-grader this year. My time for reflection will wait. A happy 32nd birthday indeed.

While you were sleeping...

Lying still at the end
of one long, exhausting day,
covered in a hand-made quilt
by a loving grandmother long
passed,
an arm flops over my
shoulders, "I love you
mommy"...
A breathless sigh as
you fall into slumber.
Eyes have closed,
breathing slows
and dreams send you on to
freedom,
stealing your tiny, sweet
soul for the hours of rest
you require.
I lie there with you my
child, ever jealous of the
dreams that take over.
And while you were sleeping
tears welled upon the rims
of my eyes,
and I look upon you with
infinite wonder...
You are my spirit
my hope, my purpose,
And my love for you
will never fade or
falter.
You are my heart
in your grandmothers quilt
and in my love lies your home
forever.

Bluenewt

4 comments:

kaicito said...

ah, the joys of blog-hopping :) i'm glad i found yours today, because i really like that poem you posted. check out my blog chisquare_kaisquare sometime...us newbie bloggers should stick together, you know :)

Bluenewt said...

Thanks for stopping:) My blog is still under construction, haven't quite figured out what I'm doing entirely...Any suggestions??

kaicito said...

not really, i'm just a newbie myself. just write about what interests you or concerns you... i see this blogging business more like a diary...if someone else reads it and finds it interesting and/or amusing, it's an added bonus. having aid that, i'm amazed at the stuff some people post! (and not in a good way, either)

Bluenewt said...

Tell me about it! I was at the computer flipping through some blogs..(the next blog button)while my kids were watching their show, and all of a sudden, there were boobs all over the screen. My inside voice was screaming, "Close it! close it! before the kids look up! ugh.