Saturday, May 03, 2008

Happy Mothers Day To Me!

I'm very happy in spite of myself this week. The ex is taking off to Pittsburg and I have the kids the entire week AND weekend to myself! (During the school year, the boys dad has all the weekends, and so this is my first this year!) I am trying to think of something extra special to do...but haven't decided yet. If you happen to be reading my blog and have an idea, feel free to post it! We also have the unintterupted week, so I can take Dalton to activity night at school on Tuesday, and the boys to the art show on Wednesday.

My job is sucking badly. I'm not getting hours consistently...and D paid off the remaining alimony which primarily went to my attorney, so that monthly payment I counted on until July is gone. I'm pretty worried about financial things of late...but hopeful because there are 3-5 teaching positions opening up for next fall. I complete successful interviews every night from about 10-2, when I should be trying to sleep.

My youngest will probably repeat his first grade year. It's basically my decision with a recommendation from his teacher and breaks my heart since he will not complete the 'graduation' with his first grade peers, but he is in a class that 'loops' with Kindergarten as well, so he will have a familiar group of kids to remain with. I'm frustrated with the school, we were supposed to meet with the psychologist, principal, reading support and regular teachers...but no one has contacted me yet and I won't decide until I have a chance to talk to them. They are getting ready for graduation and I just don't want Dalton to be any more disappointed than possible.

My oldest didn't have the greatest 4th grade year. Many, many issues, but few huge ones. I expected it somewhat, being the third school he's attended thus far. I'm really hoping that throughout the summer he can maintain friendships, and maybe slip into the coming year with a little more ease than this last year. He will be in middle school. I'd like to get him pointed in some direction, a sport, art, something! to stick to. His art teacher would told me that if he would just focus, he could be amazing, but that in art club, if they begin a topic/project he isn't interested in she loses him. I'm going to do a little digging to see what programs are available for summer. It strikes me at times that my son is growing up...and his 'childhood' is more than half over. Wow.

The briefs are filed for the ex's appeal, so now its a waiting game. I'm almost paid up on the $2500 retainer finally. I try not to think about it too much, but its there in the back of my mind.

I'm having a lot of headaches. I have never had headaches with the exception of a cold or sinus infection, but lately have them on a daily or every other day basis. Bad ones, the kind that you can't move without throbbing or nausea, and pain reliever merely takes some of the edge off.

On the lighter side of things...we have had lots of visitors lately, neighbor kids trickling in...lots of activity, laughter and play. Derek has never been a highly social kid, but he's growing into that part in bits. Spring has sprung and its wonderful to be outside, in the sandbox and on the trampoline and the sense of adventure has returned in full force. I'm ready for the laid back schedule of summer vacation. Life is never perfect, but I'm happy with just plain good.

1 comment:

Val said...

Sorry I'm late on my surfin' -- i.e. too late to make any Mother's Week suggestions! hope it was a good one.